By Jeanette Handelsman ’64, Alumnae Relations Coordinator
OLP Graduates are Everywhere!
Alicia Mikolaycik currently serves as the Director of Emergency Medicine at Mercy San Juan Medical Center in Sacramento, California. Alicia attended Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California and Loyola University Chicago’s Stritch School of Medicine. She was matched to the Emergency Medicine residency at UCSF in San Francisco, California and completed a fellowship in medical administration, also in the Bay Area, and from there to San Juan Medical Center. In her own words, Alicia shares – “’it’s been a crazy ride but an amazing life so far, including taking care of patients in their most vulnerable moments and helping shape how that care is delivered in our Emergency Department and participating on the national level in the fight for better access to quality emergency care for all.”
While she was working at a tea company in Los Angeles as she prepared for medical school she randomly encountered Taryn Hames ’03 and they caught up remembering their time together in their AP Chem and Biology clasess with Miss Wiedower and Mrs. Handelsman.
While in her residency at UCSF Fresno she served alongside Clarisse Casilang ’02 who just happened to be a Pediatric resident also at UCSF Fresno – Alicia says they bragged about their high school to anyone who would listen.
While Alicia was on the Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association another OLP alumna, Veronica Mason, was also on the EMRA Staff.
Alicia shares: Being educated at OLP was a defining part of my life. It ingrained in me the reality that it is OK for a woman to be strong, smart, opinionated, successful. The teachers and mentors I was so privileged to have supported me and pushed me to give everything my all, to be better than my previous best, to not settle for good when great was possible.”
For OLP Alumnae announcements:
- Saturday, October 13: Los Angeles area Reconnect, time and location TBD
- Thursday, October 18: Sip and Paint in San Diego, 5:30 – 7:00
- Saturday, November 10: Bay Area Reconnect at Lake Chalet on Lake Merritt in Oakland, California, 11:00-1:30.
- Saturday, December 1: Chicago Alumnae Reconnect
- Sunday, December 2: New York City Alumnae Reconnect
2019 Alumnae Reunion Events
- Tuesday, March 19: Jewel Jubilee, Mass and Luncheon honoring graduates 50 + years
- Friday, May 24: Commencement, Class of 2019, 50th Class Reunion Celebration (Class of 1969) August 8-9: Alumnae Reunion Weekend, especially honoring classes ending in “4” or “9” i.e. 1944, 2009.
Watch for update of Alumnae portion of the OLP Website (aolp.org), emails and Invitations to the events listed above.
“O, my sisters, let us love one another” Mother St. John Fontbonne